Former Kampala mayor and wealthy businessman Nasser Ntege Sebaggala, popularly known as Seya, has passed on.
He breathed his last September 26 morning at the International Hospital Kampala (IHK).
Sebaggala had been admitted her after suffering intestinal obstruction or intussusception.
He had on September 08 collapsed while at his home in Munyonyo in Kampala.
Sebaggala underwent an operation and was placed under life support in IHK’s Intensive Care Unit.
THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SEBAGGALA SEYA
- Date of birth: November 15, 1947
- Place of birth: Kisaasi
- Parents: Hajji Shaban Ssebaggala and Hajjati Nabatanzi
- Family position: First born out of 27 children
- Date of death: September 26, 2020
- Age: 72
- Began vending vegetables with his father at Nakasero Market
- One of the first Ugandans to open a supermarket (Ugantico) along Kampala Road
- Arrested by military ruler Idi Amin for his lavish life.
- Wandegeya Madrasa
- Kibuli Demonstration School
- Post-graduate Diploma in Management and Planning
- Professional Development Diploma in Management Studies: Oxford College, UK
- 1998: Stood for Kampala Mayor and beat Christopher Yiga of National Resistance Movement (NRM)
- June 1998-February 1999: Arrested in US, convicted on eight counts of making false customs declaration, bank fraud and transporting forged documents into the US, jailed for 11 months.
- Declares 2001 presidential ambition after heroic return to Kampala
- 2001: Electoral Commission (EC) rejects his academic papers as inadequate for the position of president.
- 2002: Government pays part of his fees for his education at Oxford College, UK
- 2006: Wins Kampala Mayor Race
- 2010: Loses Democratic Party (DP) presidential election to Norbert Mao.
- 2010: Forms Liberal Democratic Transparency (LDT) party (after merger between Sebaggala’s Progressive Democratic Alliance and the LDT.
- 2011: Museveni appoints Sebaggala Minister without Portfolio. Parliament rejects his appointment.
- 2012: Museveni appoints Sebaggala Senior Presidential advisor for special duties
- 2015: Announces bid for president of Uganda but pulls out of race.
- 2016: Reppointed President Yoweri Museveni’s advisor
- 2020: Expresses interest in Kampala Lord Mayoral race, seeks NUP ticket but falls sick before nominations