President Yoweri Kaguta Tibuhaburwa Museveni has relieved deputy police chief Maj Gen Steven Sabiiti Muzeeyi of his duties, replacing him with Maj Gen Paul Lokech.
Museveni picked Muzeeyi to serve as IGP in March 2018.
He had fired long-serving police chief Gen Kale Kayihura, replacing him with his hitherto deputy Martins Okoth Ochola.
But just over two years in office, Muzeeyi has run out of lack and is now awaiting redeployment in the UPDF.
So, who is Maj Gen Sabiiti Muzeeyi?
MAJ GEN SABIITI MUZEEYI QUICK PROFILE
Year of birth: 1975 (aged 45)
Place of birth: Mbarara District
Father: Zekeriah Muzeyi Magyenyi
- Zekeriah Muzeyi Magyenyi married Museveni’s maternal auntie Javanis Magyenyi
- Zekeriah Muzeyi Magyenyi was a fighter in Museveni National Resistance Arm y (NRA) bush war
- Magyenyi died in 2007
- Ntare School
- Mbarara High School
- Makerere University
- Muzeeyi read biochemistry
- He graduated with a First Class Honors degree
1997: Joined the UPDF
- Attended boot camp Kasenyi Training Wing, in Entebbe
- Again, Muzeeyi graduated atop 92 recruits. (25 of the 117 initial recruits had dropped out)
- Started off in the Presidential Protection Unit (PPU) – later named Special Forces Command (SFC)
- Attended the Uganda Senior Command and Staff College Jinja
- Later attended a senior command course at the United States Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, in Kansas
- US government cancelled his admission to Fort Leavenworth
- He went to a Russian military college
- 1998: Part of PPU officers that guarded VIPs during US president Bill Clinton’s visit
- Family advised him to return to school for further studies and pursue a career in the academia
- Fully returned to PPU
- Later appointed deputy commandant of Presidential Guard Brigade (PGB) – formerly PPU, then headed by First Son Muhoozi Kainerugaba
- Appointed commander of Uganda Military Police on his return from Russia for a military course
- March 2018: Appointed Deputy Police Chief
- December 2020: Fired as Deputy Police Chief