Former security minister Gen Elly Tumwine passed on August 25 morning after days of hospitalization.
Here is a quick look at the life, times and interesting facts about one of Uganda’s most famous army generals.
- Date of Birth: April 12, 1954
- Place of Birth: Burunga, Mbarara District
- Age at death: 68
- Profession(s): Military officer, professional artist, teacher, politician
- Primary education: Attended Burunga Primary School
- Secondary Education: Mbarara High School and St. Henry’s College Kitovu
- 1997: Joined Makerere University
- Graduated with Bachelor of Arts Degree in Fine Art
- Also had a Diploma in Education (majored in the History of Art Painting)
- Graduate of Tanzania Military Academy Monduli (Cadet Officers Course)
- Senior Command Course at the Uganda Senior Command and Staff College at Kimaka, in Jinja
- Also attended Vystry Military Academic, Soviet Union
Military Career & Security/Defence Positions
- 1978: Left teaching to join Museveni’s Fronasa rebels fighting Idi Amin
- 1981: Joined Museveni’s National Resistance Army (NRA) to fight Milton Obote following the controversial 1980 general elections
- Famous for firing the first shot in the NRA war during the attack on Kabamba.
- Sustained injuries on his face; lost one eye during the war
- Served as army commander until 1987. Replaced by Museveni’s younger brother Gen Caleb Akandwanaho aka Salim Saleh
- 1989: Minister of State for Defence
- 1994-1996: Director General of the External Security Organization (ESO)
- 1996-1998: Presidential Advisor
- 1986-1999: Chairman of the High Command Appeals Committee
- 1986-2021: UPDF representative in Parliament of Uganda
- 2005: Gen Tumwine was appointed Chairman of the General Court Martial
- 2018: Appointed security minister replacing Lt Gen Henry Tumukunde
- June 2021: Fired as security minister, replaced by Maj Gen (Rtd) Jim Muhwezi, appointed senior presidential advisor on security
- May 2022: Officially retired from UPDF
Fine Art Career
- Returned to his fine art career after the end of the NRA war
- Used his skill to lead the team that designed the flag, the emblem and the green and camouflage uniforms of the UPDF
- Served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National Cultural Centre
- 1992: Launched Creations Limited to promote arts and crafts industry.
Date of death: Thursday, August 25, 2022
Gen Elly Tumwine was confirmed dead on the morning of Thursday, August 25, 2022. (Read Story Here).