By Noah Owomugisha
The Leader of Opposition in Parliament (LoP), Mathias Mpuuga, has revealed that the opposition Members of Parliament will resume their attendance of parliamentary sittings.
On September 28, opposition MPs walked out of Parliament in protest of the arrest and detention of their colleagues Muhammad Ssegirinya of Kawempe North and Allan Ssewanyana of Makindye West.
A day later, they would declare a boycott of sittings over the continued detention of their colleagues without trial.
“We condemn illegal detention of two most and many Ugandans who are being held for so long without trial. We will boycott the plenary sitting of Parliament until the due process of law is followed in the prosecution of our colleagues and our supporters,” said chief opposition whip John Baptist Nambeshe while announcing a boycott on September 29, 2021.
Both members of NUP, the main opposition party, Ssegirinya and Ssewanyana, face charges of murder related to a spate of killings in Masaka.
Their bail was cancelled and the duo rearrested at Kigo Prison.
Court later slapped fresh charges of murder related to a killing in Lwengo District.
Once again, they were remanded.
Now, LoP Mpuuga says they have achieved some of what they set out to push for in their boycott.
“The Shadow Cabinet has taken stock of our action to boycott Plenary and considering that some of our demands, for example detaining our Members in gazetted places were met, we have resolved to return to Parliament but with actionable plans aimed at ending the violation of rights in Uganda,” said Mpuuga.
The announcement came after a meeting of shadow cabinet members earlier on October 05.