Fire has burnt a number of kiosks and other businesses in the parking yard of the National Theater in Kampala, leaving owners in tears.
The fire, which broke out May 15 afternoon, destroyed properties estimated to be worth millions of Uganda Shillings.
Police and shop owners pointed to a welder who was fixing a kiosk to have caused the fire.
The fire is said to have started when sparks escaped to a grass-thatched hut, before spreading to other kiosks and shops.
The welder who is believed to have caused the fire has been identified as Vincent Sanjo.
Sanjo has since been arrested and detained at the Kampala Central Police Station (CPS) for interrogation.
The welder reportedly refused to heed the warnings from some kiosk owners and attendants who told him it was risky to weld near grass thatched huts.
Fire outbreaks continue to be an issue of concern to Ugandans and authorities. Just last month, fire burnt stores at the Ministry of Agriculture in Wandegeya, Kampala. (Read Story Here).