Joel Ssenyonyi, the Chairperson of Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee on Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (PAC Cosase), has responded to calls by Tooro MPs to stop investigating national carrier Uganda Airlines and its controversial Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jennifer Bamuturaki Musiime.
As the probe into Uganda Airlines continues to expose more rot at the national carrier, MPs from Tooro and Rwenzori have called on Ssenyonyi, also Nakawa West MP and opposition National Unity Platform (NUP), to stop the investigation and let Bamuturaki, a daughter of Tooro, alone.
Steered by their chairperson, Alex Ruhunda, the Fort Portal Municipality Central Division MP, legislators under the Tooro-Rwenzori Parliamentary Forum, have insisted that Bamuturaki is qualified for the top job at Uganda Airlines and that Cosase should stop harassing her.
“This lady is well known to us, and to me personally because I studied with her and I know this lady went to Kyebambe Girls for O-level, went to Nabisunsa and moved to the university. So, for people to stand and say she has no qualifications, that is very disheartening. It is not true and I think we are not right,” Ruhunda said in an interview with a local television channel.
“I know we people from Tooro are humble; we don’t fight over jobs, we don’t make noise about things but many of the people from Tooro when they are given a chance to work, they work with one heart, they are not corrupt and what is killing our country are the people who just want to get jobs and exercise their greed on these jobs and run down institutions. This lady hasn’t been given a chance. She has just started on work and already people have begun fighting. Why can’t they give her time to see how she does her job?”
In response, Ssenyonyi told Ruhunda and fellow MPs from Tooro and Bunyoro to leave the kingdom and sub region out of the probe. The Cosase boss also seemed to wonder how Ruhunda, a male, had studied at Kyebambe Girls with Bamuturaki.
“Hon Alex Ruhunda says he studied with Jennifer Bamuturaki at Kyebambe Girls Sch or something of the sort…maybe! Whatever the case, COSASE is probing suitability for the job, plus queries raised in the Auditor General’s report about Uganda Airlines. Let’s not drag Tooro into this!” responded Ssenyonyi.
Minister Katumba Wamala has also added his voice to those expressing dissatisfied with the manner in which CEO Bamuturaki is being blasted. (Read Story Here).
MORE STORIES ON UGANDA AIRLINES CEO JENNIFER BAMUTURAKI PROBE
- Museveni: Why I Gave Jennifer Bamuturaki Uganda Airlines CEO Job Without Following the Right Process
- SHOCK as Uganda Airlines CEO Reveals: I Never Applied for the Job but Museveni Gave it to Me
- Jennifer Bamuturaki: I Got Uganda Airlines CEO Job Without Makerere’s SWASA Academic Transcript & O-level Papers
- LABA SENTE! Loss Making Uganda Airlines Bosses’ JUICY Salaries Shock Nation
- MORE SHOCKING REVELATIONS: Uganda Airlines CEO Bamuturaki Doesn’t Have Required Academic Papers’ But Museveni Appointed Her, Anyway
- ‘Jennifer Bamuturaki Was Appointed by God’s Angel; Nobody Will Remove Her From Office’ — Museveni Boy Tells Off Joel Ssenyonyi