The Uganda Communications Commission Commission (UCC) has ordered Jumia, Glovo, Safe Boda and a number of companies offering courier services as well as several bus companies to stop offering delivery services until they have been licensed by the regulator.
UCC, which was established through section 4 of the Uganda Communications Act, 2013, regulates courier services on top of telecommunications, broadcasting, radio communications, postal communications, data communication and infrastructure deployment.
Sections 26, 27 and 33 of the UCC Act make it criminal for any person to install, operate or otherwise provide broadcasting services and to convey, deliver or distribute any postal articles without a license issued by the Commission.
UCC says it conducted a technical inspection in June and July 2022 and discovered that a number of companies were illegally offering courier services since they had no licenses to do so.
The Commission has since advised those illegally offering courier services to stop with immediate effect.
UCC also revealed that it will soon conduct enforcement activities across the country in a bid to weed out and heavily punish illegal operators in accordance with the provisions of the Uganda Communications Act, 2013.
The Commission also noted that it would arrest all people found providing illegal courier services and cause their prosecution on top of confiscating their equipment.
It also called on Ugandans to desist from dealing or transacting with illegal courier operators.
- Daks Courier trading as IPS – Kampala
- Divine Coaches Limited – Adjumani
- BBC Parcel Transporters – Arua
- California Bus Service – Arua
- Elite Nile Transporters – Arua
- Nilestar Trade Link – Arua
- Zawadi Services Limited – Kampala, Arua & Moyo
- Deo the Couriers Limited – Kampala
- Swift Safaris – Bushenyi
- Kalita Transporters – Fort Portal & Kampala
- HMK Transporters – Gulu
- Kwizera Executive – Gulu
- Larem Safaris – Gulu
- Ibabu Coaches – lbanda
- Conex Express Couriers – Jinja
- Avant Garde Distributors – Kampala
- Delivery Guy – Kampala
- Glovo Centre Uganda – Kampala
- Jumia Uganda – Kampala
- Lunar Courier Ltd – Kampala
- Matama Express Limited – Kampala
- Minute Man – Kampala
- Oxygen Courier Limited – Kampala
- Quantum Express Logistics – Kampala
- Safe Boda – Kampala
- WK Impact Elite First Class – Kampala
- Yellow Pages Express – Kampala
- Globex Express Couriers Limited – Kampala
- High Speed Couriers Limited – Kampala
- Dreamline Coaches – Kampala
- Guardian Coaches – Kampala
- Modern Coast Coaches – Kampala
- Hey Transport International Cargo – Kampala
- Makizito Courier & Logistics Limited – Kampala
- Baby Coaches – Kasese
- Gateway Coaches – Kisoro
- Roblyn Coaches – Kitgum
- Comfort Bus Services – Lira
- Felistar Bus Services – Lira
- Friends Coach – Lira
- Gaaga Coaches – Lira
- Goodluck Services Uganda Ltd – Kampala & Lira
- Real Bus Services – Lira
- Tausie Coaches – Mbarara
- Teso – Soroti
- YY Coaches – Kampala, Arua & Mbale
Meanwhile, UCC has also ‘CLOSED’ 24 Radio Stations. (See Their Names and Why They Were Closed HERE).