More people have reportedly succumbed to the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) hours since Uganda’s Ministry of Health (MoH) announced an outbreak.
On Tuesday, MoH Permanent Secretary Dr Diana Atwine confirmed the outbreak of Ebola in Uganda.
The number of those who have succumbed to the disease is said to have since shot to 12 in the district of Mubende where the index case was reported.
Although this is not an official figure released by MoH, reports from Mubende say that there were some people who had succumbed before the index case.
Those said to have died of Ebola before the confirmation of the index case reportedly included a nurse and other seven people.
Locals had been describing the cause of death of these people as ‘strange disease’ until samples tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) returned positive results for the Sudan strain of Ebola Virus Disease.
There are reports that at least five people died between Tuesday and Wednesday, some in hospital and others in the most affected Sub County of Madudu.
Over 10 other patients, some linked to those who have succumbed, are currently fighting for their lives at the Mubende Regional Referral Hospital.
Investigations have also been extended to Kyaka Refugee Settlement after one person died of a strange disease. Those who were in contact with the deceased have had samples taken from them for testing at the UVRI.
Health officials are also investigating local private clinics that admitted and handled people who have since succumbed to what is said to be Ebola.
Local leaders are also said to be mulling over a possible lockdown — akin to the one for the Covid19 times — for Mubende District as a way of containing the Ebola outbreak.
Talk of lockdown is normally brings fear and panic, especially given Ugandans’ experiences with the Covid19 lockdowns.